Child having breathing difficulty, fever due to cough and cold. Are the prescribed medicine safe?

Hello Doc,

My 3 yrs son is having fever due to Cough & Cold , he is having difficulty while breathing due cough & produces whistle sound .

my pediatrician recommended use of nebulizer to dispense Levolin o.63 mg thrice a day for a week & crocin if there is fever. I don't see relief.

Today Its been 4 days & My pediatrician has added more medicines namely:
- Levolin o.63 mg twice a day for a week
- Budesal .5 mg twice a day for a week
- Aziwok 100mg SYP twice a day for a week
- Deriphyllin 100 mg SYP thrice a day for a week

Please suggest if this is recommended medication or if i should consult for second opinion.

this is 3 instance of Cough recurring in 2 months. All 3 times my pediatrician has recommended use of Levolin o.63 mg twice a day for a week. Which worked with medication but Cough has recurred.

Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 35 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Few questions to help you better.
1. Other than these three episodes does he have any past episodes of recurrent cough?
2. Does he have any other allergies.... like skin allergy or eye allergy (I mean allergic conjunctivitis)
3. Is there any family history of allergy?(skin allergies etc in father, mother, grand parents, uncles, etc)
4. Is there any family history of bronchial asthma?

I think your Pediatrician is suspecting wheeze associated respiratory illness or bronchial asthma in your kid.

During such episodes we treat with nebulisation with Salbutamol or Levosalbutamol (present in levolin used by your pediatrician) Some treat mild to moderate episodes of asthma with inhaled steroids (Budesol is a steroid used by your pediatrician)

Antibiotics are recommended only if there are features of infection in bronchial asthma (Aziwok used by your pediatrician... normally we use 10mg per kg body weight per day for three days or 10mg per kg body weight on first day followed by 5mg/kg per day for 4 days. In typhoid fever we give 20mg/kg per day for 7 to 14 days)......What is the weight of your child?
I personally do not use Deriphyllin for pediatric asthma.

In case of frequent episodes preventor therapy should be used which contains inhaled steroids like budesonide etc.

Please monitor respiratory rate..... look for any chest indrawing, grunting sounds or bluish coloration of fingers etc as they give a clue to worsening scenario in a case of respiratory illness.

hope this helps.