Child having both ankle bent inwards. How serious is this? What should be done?

Question
my new born was born on the 12th of aug2012 with both ancle bent inword. how serious is it. the docter said we will put a cast on both her legs for two weeks to get straight.
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later

This deformity is called clubfoot or CTEV.

Most cases respond well to treatment and physiotherapy. However long term treatment is needed.

But results of treatment are not always predictable. So your doctor might not be able to tell you how baby will respond to treatment.

But this deformity can be cured to quiet desirable level with good care by skilled doctors and physiotherapists.

Hope that answers your question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child having both ankle bent inwards. How serious is this? What should be done? 8 hours later
I see. You havent answerd is casting both legs for 2 weeks a good idead for a baby thats less than 2 weeks old.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 42 minutes later

Yes, it is good idea. In such cases if there is no other health issue then one should start treatment as early as possible. Earlier the treatment is started better are the results.

So, I agree with your doctor about casting both legs at two weeks age. At this age child is not weight bearing so it would be ideal time.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards.