Child having blood in stool. No pain. Advised for platelet check. Reason?

My son is 7 years old. around 2 months back along with the hard stool/motion blood used to come .

But now suddenly from 2 to 3 days every day after with soft stool/motion only around 7 to 8 drops of red blood is coming out and i am worried about it a lot.

he is not having the pain and no cut also near the anis. please suggest. we have being to doctor he gave some syrups and after week also if blood doesn't stop he suggest for test of platlets count.

kindly suggest.

Posted Thu, 21 Jun 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query. 
 It is not normal for a 7 year old child to have blood in the stool. There can be many different causes and it all starts with whether there was bright red, dark red, the quantity of blood, etc..., The causes can vary from medication (if he takes medication) food, anatomic (ie meckel's diverticulitis(similar to appendicitis, but another type of anatomic abnormality that can cause infection), intussusepetion(telescoping of intestines), hemangioma(benign blood tumor), anal fissures, juvenile polyps etc...All involve either functional or anatomic abnormalities.
  It is very important to atleast take a trip to the  pediatric gastroenterologist or a pediatric surgeon for the exact diagnosis and treatment.
In 90% of cases the bleeding is generally due to the anal fissure.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck.
Follow-up: Child having blood in stool. No pain. Advised for platelet check. Reason? 17 hours later
Our doctor has adviced medicines for my

1)Piclin Kid (everyday in the night 5ml to be given)

composition- each 5 ml contains sodium picosusonlfate BP 2.5mg in a paletable sorbitul base

2)Carmipep syrup(everyday in the morning and night 5ml to be given)

Carminative mixture, fungal diastase & pepsin syrup
each 5 ml contains
Diastase (1:1200)- 50 mg
(fungal diastase derived from Aspergillus oryzae digests not less than 60 gms of cooked starch)
Pensin (1:3000)- 10 mgn
(digests not less than 30 grm of Coagulated egg albumn
Dil oil-1mg
Carway oil-1mg
anise oil-1mg
Flavoured syrup base colour sunset yellow FCF Q.s

kindly suggest if this medicnes are okay for the treatment.

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
 there is nothing wrong in the medicines.
You can give these medicines so as to make his stool soft but what I am suggesting is the diagnosis of the cause and for that you must consult a pediatric surgeon.Once the cause is identified treatment becomes easy and sure.
Follow-up: Child having blood in stool. No pain. Advised for platelet check. Reason? 43 minutes later
Thanks a lot will consult and get back to you on what doctor has said.

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 minutes later
You are most welcome to discuss any problem.