Child having bad stomach pain before bowel movements. What should be done?

Nov 2013

My 3 year old is having bad stomach pain before bowel movements, the pain has been approx 1 week and stools have become very loose the last 2 days but the pain is worse, it woke him from his sleep last night, he eats and drinks well and usually has approx 3 bowel movements a day
Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.

First of all, let me reassure you that the symptoms do not suggest any serious illness.

Following possibilities are there:

1. Minor parasitic infection: this can cause pain in the stomach, as well as loose stools.
A course of de-worming medication such as albendazole may be useful.

2. Indigestion: could also lead to similar symptoms, and it resolves on its own.

As of now, you may get the stool examined for the presence of any infection.

And if symptoms are not settling, you may consult a paediatrician.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM