Child having bad cold, cough. Using nasomist nasal drops. Worried about chest infection. Dosage of cetzine syrup?

My baby is 2.5 months old.. and has a bad cough-cold... I am putting nasomist in her nose every two hours, which is helping, but now her cough is becoming bad... im worried it might become a chest infection.. as the weather is also changing and its becoming colder. What is the dosage of cetzine syrup can I give her... anything else i can do?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 54 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. I can understand the concern of a mother to her child.

First of all, your baby is quite young and at this age you need to be careful and illness which does not subside in a day or two with household remedies and routine drugs, needs proper examination by a doctor.

Please visit your family physician or pediatrician at the earliest.

She may have simple cough and cold but examination is must, as at this age the illness can progress fast and the obviously patient cannot express properly about the complaints.

Apart from this, use of cetrizine is not safe at her age. Please do not give this.

Give her feeds at regular interval and use nasomist as per need. There are preparations like inhalant capsules for this kind of nasal blocking available over the counter.

You can cut this capsule and sprinkle the drops over her clothes, pillow etc. This will help to keep the blocked nose open and she can sleep comfortably. Please do not apply any thing on her skin directly.

Please visit a doctor and get her treated, I wish her fast and speedy recovery.

I think this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up queries that you have. Please accept the answer and close the query if you do not have any follow up questions.

Dr. Pragnesh