Child having back pain and headache. How to overcome this problem?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
my 9 year old daughter has been complaining of her lower back hurting i thought she might be getting ready to start her period but now i think it might be somethen else this has been going on for over a week she also complains of head aches
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 57 minutes later
Welcome and Thanks for posting your query.

According to the clinical history provided the back pain could be part of a mechanical back pain complex of symptoms. This mechanical back pain is caused due to bad posture at work, long study hours in particular position, lack of proper sleep or healthy diet as well. Closely observe wheather she reads bending very close to the book it hurts both the back and cause headache.

I suggest her to try back strengthening exercises by extension of the back muscles which can be taught by your Orthopedician or Physiotherapist. This will help to relieve the possible muscle spasm which causes the pain.
Take proper care of her diet XXXXXXX in calcium, protein, vitamins and Minerals.

I recommend you to get a X-ray after consulting with an Orthopedician to rule out any pathological cause of low back ache.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Good wishes for your sweet doll.

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.