Child having back pain. What could be causing this?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
My 6 year old son complains that his back is hot and that his back hurts. He hasn't had any obvious injury and has been complaining for about a month
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 18 minutes later
Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,
The common cause of back pain in children is due to keeping abnormal postures during sitting, standing, while watching television, and while playing videogames or a system.
Sleeping on a very soft bed may lead to abnormal posture and causes back pain.
You check for his position of sitting and sleeping, if you correct them the pain will subside gradualy.
Nutrient deficiency such as calcium and vitamin D may present with vague back pain.
But look for any tender points or swellings over the back or pain on a particular movement.
If the pain is severe you can give ibuprofen in a prescribed dosage with food and try to find out any abnormal posturing reason for his back pain for correction.
Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.
Regards.

Follow-up: Child having back pain. What could be causing this? 11 minutes later
This morning his complaint is that his neck is hot. Don't know if that changes anything.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 53 minutes later
Thank you for your query,
Check his body temperature. If is it normal, nothing to worry.
Usually during fever, neck will feel hot and in comparison to the other parts of the body.
If his symptoms of back pain, feeling of hot back and neck persists consult his Pediatrician for the examination to look for any abnormal tender points of his spine.
Regards.