Child having autism and difficulty in walking. Gritting teeth. Should I be concerned?

Feb 2013

My son has autism. he is having difficulty walking from point A to point B. He will start walking from point A, go a few steps forward and then back track, swirl his head around, make odd foot movements, then proceed forward again but this time, running and gritting his teeth. then he will stop, go back again, repeat the same and, then, with a great effort, eventually arrive at point B. I looked on the internet for answers and thought perhaps Williams Syndrome could be what's going on. but my son has good eye hand coordination. his problem seems to be concerning his body awareness within the space he's in. Do you have any answers?
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Williams syndrome can diagnosed by clinical exam.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

What is his age?

What about the child intelligence?

What about his school performance if he is going to school?

This type of difficulty in reaching to a point from another point is suggestive of inability to complete the task because of lack on concentration or inability to perform a task.

Some times this actions are observed in children with autism which are known as stereo typed behaviors.
XXXXXXX syndrome is a syndrome in which the child have distinct facial features like elfin face, low nasal bridge, developmental delay, and underlying heart structural problems, and metabolic problem of increased calcium in the blood.

So XXXXXXX syndrome is diagnosed clinically by with physical features and with investigations such as 2D Echo, serum calcium to look for underlying heart problem and calcium abnormality.

And chromosomal study to look for deletion of chromosome 7 will confirm the diagnosis of XXXXXXX syndrome.

Therefore you can discuss with your pediatrician about your concerns of XXXXXXX syndrome and to evaluate with clinical examination and for relevant investigations.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know along with the details I have asked.