Child having allergy between the fingers of the feet. Treated for eczema. Could it be psoriasis?

Sep 2012

Hi doctor XXXXXXX
My daughter is a 14 year old school going kid. About 6 months back she got some allergy in her feet and in between the fingers of the feet and also and on the back side of the feet. There was some scaling also noticed by us. She was getting sever itching sensation. Initially doctors thought that it is due to continuous wearing of sacks and shoe for very long periods of time, and treated for eczema. We took second opinion from another doctor, who has treated for more than 3 months and now opining that it may be psoriasis. She is very young and i am worrying a lot. Can you please advise me in this regard.
Posted Fri, 2 Nov 2012 in Psoriasis
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later
From the history, it is evident that your daughter is suffering from probably psoriasis. It should be confirmed by clinical examination. The hallmark of this disease is pink red sharply demarcated papules and rounded plaques covered by silvery scales.

In this disease Auspitz Sign is positive.

This is an autoimmune disease. Non-contiguous. And its course of treatment is very long.

This disease in early stage is treated with local measures like using topical steroids, ultraviolet radiation.

If the disease progresses, then it should be treated by using Photomicrotherapy and retinoids, methotrexate, cyclosporin A.

So, consult with skin specialist for confirmation of disease and further management.

Do let me know if you have more concerns.