Child having allergic cough and blocked nose. Is it safe to give otrivin and montek lc?

Hello Doctor, My son is 3.9 years old and he seems to be having allergic cough very frequently such as monthly, sometimes weekly. It's a dry cough and he coughs especially at nights or early mornings. He always has a nose block. One doctor suggested I can give Montek LC for three months while other doctor suggested I should give only plain Montek if there is no mucus secretion. Since it is dry cough most of the times, should I go with just plain Montair. And is it safe to give this medicine for such a long time. Is it effective for this kind of cough? And why does he get a nose block everyday? Please advise. Is it safe to give Otrivin Paediatric whenever he has nose block?
Posted Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 2 hours later
Thank you for your query.

Your child seems to have allergic rhinitis.
The ideal treatment is as follows.
The child needs Montair Lc for 1 month.
Then he will need montair (4mg) for 5 months.
He will need an x-ray of the sinuses to exclude sinusitis. He will need a blood IgE level to detect his allergic levels. The child will need annual flu injections for prevention. He will need a Flutiflo nasal spray for 6weeks.

Montair is a very safe drug, can be given up to 3yrs.
It is effective for allergic cough associated with allergic rhinitis.
Regular nose block is due to allergic rhinitis.
Otrivin pediatric nasal drops are safe if used for 5 days at a time...4 times daily.

If you have any further queries, you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing your child a speedy recovery. Have a nice day.
Follow-up: Child having allergic cough and blocked nose. Is it safe to give otrivin and montek lc? 2 days later
Hello Doctor, Thanks for your response. We did the blood IgE test and the result turned out to be 1078 IU/mL. We have been told that this is indeed very high as against the normal range, which is why his allergic level is high. Can this be brought down with Montair LC and Montair as suggested by you?
Also, I believe any medicine should be able to cure a disease with just few doses taken for few days together. May I understand why is Montair to be given for such a long period of 6 months? Does it take so long to cure?
Is this a permanent cure?
Should Flutiflo be given to him everyday even if he doesnt have a nose block on a specific day?
Can you also suggest if Montair LC can be given in case of mucus secretion too?
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 3 hours later

The following are the answers to your other queries:

1. Montair does not decrease allergy; but controls it. It usually takes 3 months to work... and sometimes it is given for a year.

2. Some diseases cannot be cured. They can only be controlled. Similarly the treatment is also only preventive. It is not a permanent cure. The increased allergy will usually subside naturally after

3. Yes ..Flutiflo should be given as advised for at least 6 weeks.

4. No, Montair LC cannot be given in such a situation.