Child having aching knees and feet, legs are cold to touch. What could be the reason?

Excellent

Question
Hello my Son is 13 years and for the last 3 days has been feeling a bit fluey slight temp at times but the most obvious problem has been aching joints mostly knees and feet. He says his feet and lower legs are cold and they are cold to touch even though he is in a warm environment and he has warm socks on. He did do a 12 hour tramp in freezing conditions 6 days ago which we thought might have an impact but we are worried....can you help?
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

It is important to actually ascertain that the pain he is describing is not associated with some serious condition. If he has a flu, its important to give the symptomatic treatment usually associated to it if he is really tired and looking sick.

It is not unusual to experience joint pain when one has a flu. It might be necessary to manage the flu symtomatically first with nasal decongestants if he has nasal congestion, simple analgesics, keeping warm and morning Vitamin C to fortify him in case of severe fatigue. Normally these symptoms should fade out without a couple of days.

I would also like to know if he has any history of persistent joint pain or not? Any history of rheumatic fever or rheumatologic disease? If not, no need to worry.

Persistence of the pain , flu, onset of fever and sustained altered general outlook should compel a reevaluation by his family physician. For now, I do not think there is any need to worry much. I think the above mentioned symptomatic treatment as I suggested above could be sufficient.

Do not hesitate asking any further questions if need be. Wishing him a fast recovery and just the best.

Best regards,
Bain LE MD.

Follow-up: Child having aching knees and feet, legs are cold to touch. What could be the reason? 4 minutes later
Thanks for the reassurance, however the real reason for our concern was because his feet and lower legs are actually quite cold to the touch. we initially thought he must have a fever as he was cold then hot again, but new he seems OK in himself, just these cold and aching feet!
Do you think we should take him along to a local Dr?
Sorry, I should have mentioned earlier that we have been giving him plenty of Vitamin C and he has also been having Panodol as well.
Why should his feet be cold when the rest of his body is perfectly warm?

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 10 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the follow up,

Cold extremities to touch should not actually be a real concern.
You might start by taking his temperature if you have a thermometer at home. If it is below 37.5 it is Ok. Even considering the flu syndrome, it would not be of real help as much, as it is normal to observe a change in temperature.

I suggest you remain very calm for the moment and observe him. In case of persistence of symptoms (temperature below 35 or above 37.5) after over 2 days, you might take him to the local doctor. for now, I think there is no need to be worried. Stay home and observe him simply for the moment.

Thanks and hope this helps. do not hesitate asking further questions for clarification if need be.

Best regards,

Bain LE, MD.

Follow-up: Child having aching knees and feet, legs are cold to touch. What could be the reason? 16 minutes later
Thank you, we will keep an eye on him.
God bless you!

Hi and thanks,
Stay blessed and best regards,
Bain LE, MD.