Child having a weird feeling in legs, stomach, anus and penis. Feels like pulsating. Treated for de worming. What could it be?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
hello sir,
My son is 4.5 years. From last 1 & half month he is complaining about a weird feeling. He says that he has "Gud Gudi" feeling in various part like legs, stomach, anus and penis. It started from gud gudi feeling in legs initially.. he use to cry very much because of it. Initially we thought it might be normal leg pain but he use to say no its not pain. He says its something pulsating..he call it "Gud-Gudi". Then one day he reported it in Stomach ... that he cried a lot... it was uncontrolled, he might be frightened..!!! It was like there is some kind of big worm in his stomach and he was crying. But we could not understand it. Some time it start at anus, sometime it starts in both entire legs, sometime he says its now in penis. Thinking it might be worm, doc suggested "deworm" and other worm medicines we have given but not helping. Also given calcium supplements. Now his attacks frequency increased. now its approximately daily.! we could not watch it at that time... He cries a lot saying its gudgudi....he stretches his body due to that feeling..! It only lasts 10 to 15 minutes. But its really painful. It becomes condition like he needs to admit in hospital at that time. after that its completely normal...! He is good in everything.
We done abdomen sonography, its normal.

We are really worried..! please help!!
XXXXXXX XXXX, Pune: 0000
Posted Wed, 25 Sep 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Arun 34 minutes later
Hi
I would consider the following possibilities.
1) persistent worm infestation. Its common to get persistent worms despite deworming . Frequently washing his hands esp after he touches the anal area should help.
Get stool test done
2) colicky pain from your description can be due to intestinal problems or Urine and stool examinations might help if not done already.
Specialised tests like ct or barium follow through may be needed as per your gastro enterologist advice if he still suffers from this.
Hope I answered your query .
Wishing your kid speedy recovery, will be happy to help you further
RegardsDr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Child having a weird feeling in legs, stomach, anus and penis. Feels like pulsating. Treated for de worming. What could it be? 5 hours later
Thank you doctor for quick reply.!
1) We'll definitely get done the stool and urine test.
2) You said about pain, but as I always talk about this with him - he says its not pain, its Gud-Guli (Gud-gudi) - Means: Tickle in English, a kind of pulsating activity. It might be weird and so he cries a lot...
When we ask him, he shows contracting-releasing fingers about that sensation.
3) And most important, why this same thing happens many time in legs. two three times time he cried and reported it during late night after 1.00AM. Once when i asked him silently when it was happening he explained me how it happens. I asked him many questions to know what exactly it is. He said its like pulsation and "gudguli"-tickle! He is very mature - He says, he like gudguli generally but he hates this gudguli when it happens in legs, stomach, anus and penis.
4) when I grabbed his legs firmly in my hand and tried to see what it is, i found noticeable pulsation (might be due to blood push or muscle) and asked him are you talking about this ; and he says yes yes papa its the same thing.
5) Last time it happened was at 5.00 PM yesterday (05-09-13) and it was most severe. He was crying like mad. Unstoppable. reporting this time in Anus. It seemed like its pulsating and has frequency. He was stretching his body and contracting his anus. I was helpless - It lasts 10 to 15 minutes and slowly then its normal.

All three doctors I consulted said we have not seen this earlier, one of the Pediatrician is having more than 15 years of experience.... I'm really worried..!
So finally, if its worm, why in legs.? Is it related to nerves?
please read all of above points carefully and try to answer all. Thanks again!

Answered by Dr. Arun 4 hours later
Hi
Having read all your points,
1) It could still be worms like enterobius or round worms. These worms are known to cause twitch ( this is probably what you describe as Gud Gudli) in anus penis legs . Do stools and urine test as already advised.
2) It can be tics or involuntary muscle spasms which are common in growing kids. Usually these settle over a period of few weeks to months.
3) Muscle spasms can be due to deficiencies in calcium magnesium iron and b complex vitamins. You can get your kid tested for these vitamins and minerals . Supplements of iron , calcium , magnesium and multi vitamins might help.
4) Rarely these spasms can be a manifest of subtle seizures. EEG tests will help to rule out seizure activities. Get a closeup video recording of his Gud gudli before visiting a neurologist for correlating with EEG and symptoms.
These are all the possibilities which I would consider in my practice .
Dr Arun