Child having a lump on eyebrow. Diagnosed as cyst. Is it cancerous and should I be concerned?

Feb 2013

My daughter is 6 weeks old, and I noticed a small lump, which is a bit larger than a pea, on the outer part of her left eyebrow. She's had it about a month; but not definite. We initially didn't even notice it until a few days ago, but looking at photos of her, we were able to see that it in fact has been there for maybe a month. We took her to her pediatrician and she just looked at it and right away said it was a cyst. I asked if it could be cancerous and she said that was very rare and I shouldn't worry about it. She also said that she won't even think about surgery until 6 months, and only if we want. She said thay she can keep the cyst her whole life without surgery as long as it doesn't cause any discomfort or damage to her eye.
My questions to you are:
1. What kind of cyst would appear on eyebrow of a newborn?

2. Are cancerous cysts found on the eyebrow? If so, what are the chances it can be life threatening?

3. What other reasons or causes would include a cyst on a newborn eyebrow?

4. Can a cyst of thia kind go away on its own?

5. And could a cyst form by the baby hitting herself on that spot, either with her own hands or bumping her head on that spot during burping? She often bumps her head on the shoulder of whoever is burping her, and I've seen her hit herself on that exact spot with her hands.

6. Lastly, I think I noticed the lump getting bigger when she cries, is this a common?

I'm so worried about cancer and it being life threatening. I love her so much, words can't express. I don't want to lose her. Thank you so mucj
7. Can a pediatrician just look at the lump and know its a cyst without testing it?
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

I can understand your concern.

I advise you stop worrying as the pediatrician has examined the bump and said it was a cyst.

The type of cysts in infants usually benign and presnt immediately beneath the skin.

The cyst is not a cancerous presentation in infants.

Blocked ducts of sebaceous glands may present as small cysts under the skin.

Hitting self by hand or hitting on shoulder doesnt lead to this type of cyst formation.

If the lump is not increasing in size, or not causing any discomfort to the child, or not disturbing the vision, intervention to remove the cyst is not required as your pediatrician said.

Physical examination will tell whether it is a cyst or nodule depending on physical features on clinical examination.

The prominence of the swelling during crying may be due to contraction of underlying muscles making it more obvious.

This type of cysts usually doesnt disapper by themselves at the same time they dont require any intervention as they will be not growing in size.

But watch for any increase in size, change of skin over the swelling, or any discomfort to the child and if you find any difference, consult the pediatrician again for reassessment.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.