Child having a bump on the jaw, pain and fever after a dental treatment. Chances of infection?

My 7 year old daughter was fitted for a mouth appliance in her mouth. She has an expander on the top roof of her mouth, and she has a wire that is like a retainer at the bottom. on the left side of her jaw bone she has a hard bump about the size of a small grape. She has been complaining about it the last couple of nights, but today she started to run a fever of 101, and in 5 hours later it is back. She has been in pain the last couple of nights and I thought nothing of it. She is in pain when I try to touch it and feel it. Do you think it is an infection from the retainer?
Posted Mon, 25 Jun 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in,
I would request you to answer the following questions so that I am in a better position to guide you.

1.Why your daughter is taking orthodontic treatment?
2.Is she having appliances on both the jaws?
3.Which appliance she has in her mouth?
4.Since how long she is using this?
5.This hard bump is on lower jaw or upper jaw?
6.Is she having any additional symptoms, like mouth ulcers?
7.Is she taking any medicine for pain or any other problem?
8.Do you have any x-ray of that area? If its possible, can you upload that x-ray? You can use 'Upload your report' section on the right.
Awaiting for your reply.
Dr.Gunjan Gupta
Follow-up: Child having a bump on the jaw, pain and fever after a dental treatment. Chances of infection? 3 hours later
She is getting this treatment because she needs to expand her mouth so new teeth have room to come in. yes to appliances on both upper and lower. she has had this for 2 weeks. the bump is on the lower left side. no other symptoms. Motrin is what I have been giving her. no exrays. she is in a lot of pain. my husband thinks it is her sinus cavity due to allergies. I think it is an infection.
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 30 minutes later
Thanks for providing me all these details.
Your daughter neither has an infection nor is her sinus problem acting her. It is normal to have ulcers,pain and fever for few days after starting an orthodontic treatment as teeth movement has been started after getting appliances. I would suggest you do not get worried as she will be completely all right after few days.
Your dentist must prescribed you some ointment or medicine for ulcers,pain and fever after giving these appliances. If not, I will suggest you please visit your dentist and ask for specific instructions . This should include:
She must take soft food for few days
She should be more careful about oral hygiene
She should use orthodontic tooth brush etc.
So please you do not get worried, go to your dentist as soon as possible and watch for few days.
I hope I have answered your query. If you have further any questions, I will be happy to help you