Child have vomiting after having rice cereal. Due to mucus or some allergy?

Could my daughter have an intolerance to something in rice cereal. She severely vomited 2 hours after having farex this morning. My dr. Says its because she has a runny nose and the mucus running into her stomach is the cause. The last time I gave her rice cereal she also vomited. The dr said it was viral gastro, this was a week ago. She never got diarrhoea she actually became constipated for 4 days.
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 20 minutes later

I understand your concern. You have observed twice that your baby has vomited after rice cereal.
It could be just a coincidence or as told by your doctor - post nasal drip or viral infection of stomach can also lead to vomiting.

Vomiting as such is rarely caused by allergies.
- Look for any other feature like loose motions, any hives, any respiratory symptom.
- You can avoid rice cereal for sometime and introduce some other cereal. You can restart rice cereal after a month and if still symptoms persist, she needs to be evaluated by pediatrician to look for food allergies.

For constipation give plenty of fluids.

Hope I have answered your query; if you have any other question I would be glad to help.

Wishing your baby good health.

God bless!!