Child have soreness in rib cage, pain getting to shoulder and ribs hurts with breathing. What to do?

Feb 2013

My daughter complained of soreness in her lower left rib cage about a week ago, as if it were bruised. Pain spread to her left shoulder after a day or so and has gotten progressively worse each day. Now her rib hurts when she breathes and her shoulder hurts if she moves, even just sitting or lying down. Pain is off and on; she says it gets better and then gets a lot worse and then better and then worse again. What should we do?
Posted Sat, 7 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Child needs clinical examination and tests.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Before advising you about the child pain, I need some details.

Was there any history of trauma or injury to her chest in the form of hit or fall?

Did she have similar complaints in the past?

Is she having cough, fever, respiratory difficulty at present?

Is she sitting or sleeping in abnormal positions?

I need the above information to correlate the cause of soreness to trauma related musculoskeletal injury or underlying organs like lung, pleural pathology.

Sitting or sleeping in abnormal postures will lead to soreness of muscles and bones due to strain.

With the provided complaints, it is looking like the pain is originating from the musculoskeletal part of the left sided rib cage of chest.

But physical examination followed by investigations such as chest X XXXXXXX and ultrasound of chest and upper abdomen will rule out any significant problem of XXXXXXX organs.

Hence I advise you to consult the pediatrician for physical examination and investigations to look for the cause for pain and its treatment.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know along the details I have asked.