Child have low back, hip, ankle and legs pain. MRI and X-ray normal. On cymbalta, lyrica and tramadol. Suggets?

Spine Surgeon
Question
My 15 year old daughter is having chronic low back, hip, knee and ankle pain on both sides, also pain in both legs. She will pop,the hip and knee joints periodically, saying sometimes they feel "stuck" so she has to pop them to get them working again. X-ray of hips and low back normal, MRI bulging L4/L5 disc, bone scan normal. Currently on. Cymbalta. Lyrica, multiple NSAIDS, tramadol and steroid packs did not help. Pain is constant, but worse with walking, standing, any activity really. Seen Ortho, rheumatology and physio. Trying chiropractor now. Desperate for pain relief! Suggestions?
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need to to consider alternative medicine options

Detailed Answer:
Normal Xrays and MRI ruled out serious illness. Is she diagnose with fibromyalgia? Need to rule out psychosomatic illness. I would suggest to consider alternative medicine options such as accupressure yoga or pranayam. Oral medicine can not be an option. Is she into any depression? please upload the investigation reports. Thanks.

Follow-up: Child have low back, hip, ankle and legs pain. MRI and X-ray normal. On cymbalta, lyrica and tramadol. Suggets? 18 hours later
The diagnosis was "most like fibromyalgia", but her pain is all from the waist down. The x-ray and MRI are 6 months old and were done when only her back hurt. Is there a chance something in her spine has worsened since then?

Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
May be psychosomatic illness

Detailed Answer:
I doubt about any serious issue of the spine. Most likely it is related to muscleache. Have you checked the Vit B12 and Vit D3. Patients with hypovitamiinosis are more prone for various bodyache. How is dietary habits? is she taking regular healthy diet?
Definitely you can give her various supplemental medicines however at some point you need to work to improve her inner mental strength as most of the times these chronic pains are psychosomatic in nature. I would suggest to consider doing and yoga and pranayam, it helps to build your pain tolerance and mental strength. Thanks.

Follow-up: Child have low back, hip, ankle and legs pain. MRI and X-ray normal. On cymbalta, lyrica and tramadol. Suggets? 15 minutes later
Thank you, but she is already under the care of a psychologist and following a recommended light exercise routine plus attending school. Pain is getting worse.
Diet, B12 and D3 levels are good.

Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
consider alternative medicine option

Detailed Answer:
I would suggest to consider other treatment options as suggested above. Thanks.