Child have congenial nystagmus from birth. Power is increasing but vision is reducing. Suggest?

my son is having congenial nystagmus right from birth. he is now running 4 years. his power is increasing but his vision seems reducing at some times need a constant solution
or a specialist near pune.
im new to pune please help
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 44 minutes later
My Dear,
thanks for sending your query to us.
you have to consult a ophthalmologist and preferably a pediatric ophthalmologist.
The good part of nystagmus is that it keeps on improving as the time passes.
The child has to wear a proper glass so that he maintains a good vision and orthoptic assessement is to be made to get an idea of visual status and find out ways of improvement.
You also have to take care of the general health of the child as any physical dibility will increase the nystagmus.
Ask your ophthalmologist and eye care professionals about a good ophthalmologist in the locality as the doctor should be easily approachable also.
Please do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.
Follow-up: Child have congenial nystagmus from birth. Power is increasing but vision is reducing. Suggest? 11 hours later
Sir, thanks

He s of course wearing glasses and has good food hygenic only still we need to know is there any constant way....

What is Magnetic Glasses where is at available or can anybody suggest a doctor

Can anybody say that there is a treatment under ayurvedic treatment? if so please advice..

please daily we are crying and trying
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 24 minutes later
My dear,
Thanks for getting back to us.

I would request you not to fall in for such gimmicks.

These systems do not have too much to offer and you will be wasting a lot of energy in persuing them.
There is not much of evidence regarding efficacy of these alternative systems and I have not seen them working.

As I told you, this nystagmus keeps on improving as the time passes and as you will be taking some treatment,you will feel that the improvement is due to treatment while it is due to natural regression.

Advice of a good doctor is to be followed, as that allopathy is the proper treatment.

Again, do get back to me in case of any further query and do not think about devices like magnetic glasses.