Child has white bumps on arms and legs, no fever or discomfort

Jul 2012

8 1/2 month old with red bumps with white surroundings in her arms and legs for past couple hours. They don't seem to bother her at all and no fever
Posted Fri, 14 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 5 hours later
Hey there. Today is a sunday so most of us dermatologists' are chilled but empathise with you & write in because it is a child involved & appreciate the anxiety levels...have a brood of my own here :)
If the red bumps with white surroundings are on the arms & legs & dont bother her too much, chill...most likely an insect bite reaction or an urticaria that may or may not be aggravated by UV light 9dawn to dusk) exposure but could be itchy & possibly the child has a high threshold & is not complaining. If there is no fever et al, then good..all you require is to give her 5ml of a non-sedative antihistamine molecule called desloratidine (common name Aerius) once/day for 2-3 days & she will be as fit as a fiddle! You may apply topical calamine lotion on her skin that will act as a 'soothing' agent & 'protective' as a sunscreen if she is sauntering outside as a child is wont to do....but make sure you Dont 'rub' it in..just gently apply a bit or get her involved in the activity of application.
With this basic first-aid treatment, all should be well. I dont envisage any major problem. Trust i have been lucid & have responded as soon as your question was placed on my dashboard...Cheers & good luck! close the query if i have answered your questn to your satisfaction & would appreciate a feedback on this site..Tx & look forward to hearing from you again.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD, Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venreologist @ XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India.