Ask a Urologist   »  

Child has white bump on penis under foreskin. What is it?

Hi there,
My 7 year old son has just pointed out that he has a strange white bump on his penis. It is maybe about 0.5cm, white-ish, and under his foreskin - when he pulls his foreskin back as far as he can, the tip of the bump is almost visible but it looks like it may be under the skin of the shaft of his penis. He says he can't feel it most of the time but it has been irritated in the past. He also says he's had it for a while (a couple months) but he just told me about it a few days ago.

I have also been looking at related illnesses online and it is definitely is not Fordyce spots or Balanitis (sp?)

Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Few possible causes listed

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I can understand how such a presentation can be worrying, especially when it is your child. But such a presentation in children is encountered quite commonly, and the causes are a few. Let me list them for you:
-Lichen sclerosus (most common cause)
-Balanitis (which you feel does not fit the bill)
-Sexually transmitted infections (which could have been contracted from parents or siblings or other individuals during daily interaction; but this is less likely)
-Normal wart or growth
-Pearly white papules

In such a scenario, I would advice you to take your son to a doctor. A physical examination coupled with a few simple tests conducted on the spot would greatly help in a rapid and speedy diagnosis. Once the cause is identified, treatment can be initiated, and your son can be symptom-free.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you are looking for. Please feel free to write back to me if you have any further clarifications, please do not hesitate as we need to make sure we do the best for your son.

Best wishes.