Child has white and green tongue. Is it due to breastfeeding?

My six week old son has white and green tongue. Was wondering if that was normal he is breastfed.
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Himanshi Kashyap 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Is your baby lately having trouble in feeding?
If you scrape/clean his tongue are there any red patches below?
Does he have white plaques on the other part of mucosa of mouth?

Most of the time due to deposition of milk tongue appears white. Greenish could be because of bacterial growth.

If the mouth is painful and white then oral thrush (fungal infection) is responsible for it. Babies mouth generally do not require cleaning and most of the time this colour wipes out by itself. However painful oral thrush requires treatment with antifungal mouth paints.

Do get back with the answers to my questions.