Child has white and frothy saliva, wheezing, coughing, increased breathing. Body rash. Any suggestions?

Hi I have a 5 month old son who was diagnoses with pneumonia and tonsillitis 4 weeks ago, and was given antibiotics, Redipred (prednislone) and an asthma puffer. He had a chest x-ray confirming pneumonia. After the antibiotics he improved slightly, but then was diagnosed with an ear infection and placed on antibiotics again. He once again has the symptoms of pneumonia, however was x-rayed two days which did not show pneumonia, but he was diagnosed with bronchiolitis. He was again placed on Redipred (prednislone) . My son has not improved. He is constantly crying, listless, and has a croup type like cough, and wheeze, with rising chest and higher then normal respiration rate, his saliva is white and frothy/bubbly and he is very pale with dark circles around his eyes.
His little personality has gone and replaced with a constant cough and whinge. His has now developed a slight rash all over his body. Any suggestions. We do have an appointment with the doctor tomorrow. But it is hard to see him suffer again through the night.
Posted Mon, 24 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 58 minutes later
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
Your son seems to be quite sick and I would suggest he should be admitted and treated as in-patient in the hospital.
Bronchiolitis is mostly a viral diseases in children of this age and cause marked respiratory distress affecting the child's rest and feeding and sleep.
He should be investigated for new development of any pneumonia and his antibiotics should be revised according to cultures if already sent if not then they should be ordered now.
Role of steroid in pneumonia is not towards benefit.
Child should get supplemental oxygen and supportive treatment.
His condition is not appearing good at all because children in this age are very fragile.
Please do not wait anymore be proactive on this front.
If you have any doubts I would be happy to work on them and if not then you can write a review about my clinical acumen and recommend others personally.
I hope you would be benefited by my opinion.
I wish your son a great health!