Child has wheezing, taken Budocort and Levolin. Worsening condition. Help

Hi, I am having 19 months old twin boys. One of the boys is having lots of problems related to recurring wheezing. He was hospitalized twince in last 2 months. Apart some antybiotics he was also on budocort 0.5 and levoling 0.63. Budocort was stopped after 3 weeks and levolin is to stopped. He was in control (with continuos cough of different strenght) but again got worsen yesterday. I am concerned that he still did not recover from previous infection and is getting a new one. My second kid is also getting worse with stuffed nose and wet cough. Any advise please? Getting really desperate to try to help them
Posted Sun, 30 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 1 hour later

Wheezing episodes in the childhood age group is very common. However, it recurs many a times it may be an initiation of childhood asthma. Most common cause of childhood wheezing is respiratory bronchiolitis due to respiratory syncitial virus or other viruses. But in most of the cases it disappear spontaneously or by conservative managements like what your children had already received. In most of the cases, these viral wheezing episodes are intermittent in nature and respond well to the conservative management. But if it persists for prolonged time child asthma should come into differential diagnosis.

So please let me aware of my following queries:
1. How many episodes have occurred until now?
2. Is there any family history of asthma?
3. Have your children received vaccination as per national immunization schedule?
4. is your children breast-fed?

Your physician did right in their conservative management. But I will also suggest you to have influenza vaccination for your child and also pneumococcal vaccination after the age of 2 years for your children. It is better not to continue budecort for more than 2-3 weeks. Your physician did the right thing by stopping budecort after 3 weeks. Avoid them from getting common cold, bathe them in lukewarm water, do not apply oil in this acute period while bathing, and do hospitalize them as and when required.

Please do consult about immunization, which I have prescribed you with your pediatrician. Please let me aware of my queries so that I can give you more advice.

If you have further queries, you can write back to me freely. Kindly write a review on my answer.

Dr Arnab Maji