Child has vomiting, diarrhea, fever, black specks in stools, foul smelling stool, low energy. What to do?

General Surgeon
My six year old son had been ill with what I think is a stomach bug for 2 days. Vomiting, very watery diarrhea, fever and very little energy. He just had another watery stool with tiny black specks. His stool smells like death. Should i just let this run it's course?
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 23 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

2 days is enough for stomach infection symptoms to improve. If it is not improving, you should seek for medical help.
There is a great risk of dehydration (lack of energy is one of its symptoms) what can lead to kidneys failure (lac of urine) what can be life threatening.
Bad stool smell and black specks inside can indicate bacterial infection as well as other diseases like pancreas disease, metabolic disease and many more.
Moreover your son has mild immunity disorder what makes him more prone to bacterial infection.

So I`m asking you to visit ER (prepare yourself to be left in the hospital)

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.