Child has varucca plana on face and arms. spots increasing. Suggest treatment

Hi, Varucca plana was detected on my son's face and arms who is 6 years old.
Spots are now increasing on both arms.
pls suggest treatment
Posted Fri, 29 Jun 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 36 minutes later
Thanks for posting query.
Varucca plana is also called flat wart.
Mostly this will clear its own within few months or years.
If warts are increasing in numbers he may go for any of the following procedures. A competent dermatologist can examine and suggest the best one for you.
1,cryo surgery where warts are cauterized.
2,Electro surgery,
3,Application of salicylic acid, cantharidin, Podophyllin.
4, Laser surgery.
Consult dermatologist and take his opinion regarding line of treatment. Since this cosmetically disturbing for you and your son. It has some social impact for a school going child. I suggest to go for safe treatment procedures instead of depending on applicative medication.

Hope, I answered your query. If you have any further query or clarification, do not hesitate and ask. I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Child has varucca plana on face and arms. spots increasing. Suggest treatment 5 hours later
Thanks for your response. I am attaching photograph of face where you can find small bubbles . Similiar bubles are now clearly visible in other face and both arms.Now a days it's also increasing.

Need to know why these are coming?
What type of deases ?
Why it's coming in bulk ?

We had consulted one Skin specialist who advises for BOIPSY test which is attached here with. After consulting she advised to go for Laser....

As my son is quite young would like to know is this the only solution?
In case we will go for Laser treatment, than affected areas will be burn/cured but in future how to treat or it will not appear in the same area or other areas.

Awaiting your input on the same.

Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 8 hours later

Thanks for writing back. I have gone through the reports.

The nature of the disease is confirmed with biopsy. This disease is caused by Human Papilloma Virus (HPV).
It is a contagious disease but less in comparison with other diseases caused by HPV.

Numbers and size increase due to re-infection by the same patient due to itching, touching of the lesion.

Laser surgery will definitely help but as numbers are more you can ask prescription of some cream of salicylic acid, podophyllin, cantharidin from your dermatologist.
If you do not have any further query or clarification, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health to you and to your beloved child.
Follow-up: Child has varucca plana on face and arms. spots increasing. Suggest treatment 4 hours later
Thanks for this response, but again response seems to be in general nature.

Would request if any dormatologist can check online and revert rather a physicsian.

Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 4 hours later

The disease is so specific; treatment remains more or less same whether you go for electro surgery, cryosurgery, laser or some application.

If you have doubt or think that something new can be done, you can post a query to Dermatologist (Ask a Specialist query) on the website of XXXXXXX for your satisfaction.

To stop further spreading of the lesion please do not allow your child to itch or touch the lesion.

If you do not have any clarification, you can close the discussion.

Wish you good health.