Child has undergone surgery for urinary bladder reflex. Will this cause any future complication?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Sir my daughter has gone through 2 surgery for urinary bladder reflex...continues drainageat night and intintermediary caterization at day through metrophones...will she ever develop her blader size once she gets matured?
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Welcome to HCM!

Can you tell me whether she has any other problems like spina bifda?

Is your girl normal otherwise?

From your mail I understand the primary problem is not reflux but difficulty in completely emptying the bladder.

Did they diagnose it as neurogenic bladder?

I need some more information from you , reg their initial diagnosis and what surgery was done twice?

Have they tried any surgery to prevent reflux?

It s difficult to predict how the bladder can grow if she is on continuous drainage in the nights.

Awaiting your answer
Good luck
Dr Uma
Follow-up: Child has undergone surgery for urinary bladder reflex. Will this cause any future complication? 6 hours later
Doctor, she is very normal like any other child,,, she goes to swimming, lawn tennis, , no difference with her and normal child my concern is will she automatically can pass urine as we do sometimes in future. ...ya the first surgery was done wrong and my mistake I had no knowledge that a pediatric surgen has to perform the surgry..then again to stop reflux I got it done. doubt her doctor XXXXXXX is one among the a women I'm worried what will happen when she will get her menses? ?Will she have normal life with her husband? Will she be pregnant normaly? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 4 hours later
I understand your concern- as a school going child she must be facing quite a few problems.

Why asked these questions are if she does not have nerogenic bladder why she needed all these.
Now I understand that there was some problem with the first surgery.

Definitely I need complete reports ,discharge summary,etc uploaded.
Is it possible?

You should see a pediatric urologist for these problems.
Not general surgeons!

Any way I think it should not affect her reproductive organs anyway provided in ultrasound uterus,ovaries,etc are normal.

I will wait for your report XXXXXXX
Do not worry
God is great.
Dr Uma