Child has tonsils and adenoids removed, grommets inserted into ears. Developed cough. What's wrong?

Feb 2013

my 4 yr old son had his tonsil and adenoids removed on wednesday and grommets inserted into his ears, wednesday night he developed a chesty cough which has gotten worse and is effecting his sleep, he has also vomited this morning what should i do
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,

The cough may be due to the development of throat irritation after the surgery.

Because of excessive cough, children may have vomiting followed by the cough and called posttussive vomiting.

For cough you can give one cough syrup containing mucolytic and expectorant in prescribed dosage after consulting your doctor.

Once the cough decreases, the vomiting will subside.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.