Child has swellings and pain behind molars and swollen lymph nodes in neck. What does it indicate?

My 14year old son has swellings just behind his 12 year molars. These swellings are small, closed; hard little lumps. His lymph nodes in his neck are swollen and sore, and he says the lumps in his mouth are very sore, with pain radiating to the roof of his mouth. What could cause these symptoms? (He has both tonsils and adenoids, and recently recovered from a cold.)
Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Viral fever. Betadine/salt water gargle with NSAID Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for using XXXXXXX I went through the query your and understood your concern. With the recent history of recovery from cold,the painful swelling in the mouth may be due to fever or illness and painful swollen lymphnodes suggest the post effect of viral infection. Usually the lymphnodes will be painful in viral infection and will recover slowly compared to the infection. For my patients with similar complaints I advice to do betadine / salt warm water gargle three times a day, to apply glycerine gel / local anesthetic gel(Zytee gel/dento gel) to the hard little lumps in mouth to reduce the pain before having food and NSAID like aceclofenac will help in reducing inflammation, pain and hence will help in recovery. So I advice the same to you. Hope this information answered your query and is helpful for you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Wish you a very happy life and good health. Regards
Follow-up: Child has swellings and pain behind molars and swollen lymph nodes in neck. What does it indicate? 1 hour later
Thank-you for your prompt reply. We will try all of your helpful suggestions!
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: My pleasure. Detailed Answer: Hi, Its my pleasure in helping health related queries. If you are satisfied you can close the query and write a review as well. Wish you and your family a healthy and happy life. Regards