Child has swelling, redness on cheek. Swollen lymph node under ear. Rash on face and legs. Related?

Feb 2013

Hi Dr.Grief,

I believe my 16 month old might have been stung by a bee last week. There was a swollen read spot with a little bump in the middle on her cheek. A little later I noticed a swollen lymph node under her ear and some others in between her neck and shoulders. They are all on the side of the sting. The lymph nodes on the opposite side are normal. She never complained much about being stung. I called her pediatrician and she said it could also be tooth related but I know something bit her and it might have triggered a chain reaction. Lately, I 've noticed a mild rash around her face area and legs. Could all this be related?
Thank you,
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The swollen lypmhnodes in the neck and the shoulder area are due to the any present or the past infection in its concerned lymphatic area.

The infection may be a viral or a secondary bacterial infection.

Some times infection is scalp like dandruff or pustular lesions of the scalp.

And small lymphnodes of less than 1 cm are not significant.

The rash over face and the legs may be due to an allergic or a viral in nature.

Is your child having fever?

Is there any redness and warmth aroung the sting bite?

But physical examination of the rash is important to know the cause for it.

So I advise you to consult your Pediatrician for the examination of the rash and the lymphnodes.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.