Child has strep and scarlet fever. Should he go swimming in personal pool?

ENT Specialist
My son (age3) and daughter (15mos) both have strep and our daughter also scarlet fever. They have been on Rx for 3 days. My husband wants to take our son swimming today in our personal pool. I of course would prefer that he not go. My son last ran a fever last night around 5pm. I think he should stay inside and play and rest. Please advise.
Posted Sat, 15 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

It is not advisable to go for swimming when there is an ongoing upper respiratory tract infection, as the chances of spreading of the infection into the lower respiratory tract and ears is more and can worsen the present condition.

Also, there are the chances of the water getting contaminated with the infected nasal and throat secretions.

My advice to you is to avoid the child from swimming for at least a week till all the symptoms of the upper respiratory tract infection subsides.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon