Child has stomach pain, nausea, feels hot when urinating. Prevacid not helping. UTI?

My son is 5 he has been complaining that his stomach hurts he says it feels like he has to vomit but never does he goes to the bathroom constantly. He said this morning it's hot when he urinates. We have taken him to our pediatritian a couple weeks ago and he said it might be to much acid and to give him Prevacid but it's not helping could he have a UTI could that cause him to feel like he has to vomit and constant stomach pain
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 35 minutes later

Thanks for the query

I need a little more information in order to come to a better conclusion

1. Did he get fever anytime?
2. Is he urinating more than usual these days?
3. Did he feel better after taking Prevacid? What is the dose he is currently on?
4. Does he complain of increased pain after eating food or while passing stools?

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Child has stomach pain, nausea, feels hot when urinating. Prevacid not helping. UTI? 34 minutes later
No fever. The past couple days he has been urinating very frequently not a lot comes out he will urinate a few drops and be done. While we eat he has to get up to poop At least two or three times every time he always passes a stool but that's usually when his stomach hurts the most though it hurts all the time he still plays and is a normal hyper kid but yet he is always complaining that he has to throw up. We just started to give him the prevacid So I don't know if it is really working or not it is just the over the counter kind I'm not sure on the dosage at this time I'm at work. But this morning is when he said that it was hot when he urinated.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 7 minutes later

Thanks for the query

Judging by the symptoms he is presenting with it definitely looks like he has got a urine infection more so because the illness has been there for quite sometime now. It does not look like a simple acid peptic disease.
I strongly recommend you to take him to a pediatrician soon for a quick examination, complete blood count and urine routine. He will need to be on antibiotics like levofloxacin for 7 days. Let him drink lots of water as it will help reduce the burning, cranberry juice will also help fight the urinary tract infection by alkalanising the urine

I hope I have answered your query, if you have any further queries I will be happy to help you

I wish him a speedy recovery