Child has stomach pain, is sleeping more than usual, has fever and is pale.

My 10-year-old son has had stomach pain for two days, this being the third. He has a body temperature of 97-98, is sleeping more than usual and is pale.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 30 minutes later
Hi there.

Thank you for posting your question here. I will do my best to help you.

I would need to know the following to address your concern better:

(1) Has your son had any vomiting or diarrhoea with this pain?
(2) Can he point to where he is feeling the pain? If yes, then where is that in relation to his belly button - left or right, above or below? Or is the pain just defused throughout. Is it crampy or is it constant?
(3) Ask him to get out of bed and jump up and down on his toes. Does this make the pain worse?
Do you see, this could be appendicitis and if that is the case he will need urgent medical attention. Normal body temperature does not rule this out.

I hope that I have answered your questions for the moment.

I await your response.

Dr Andrew Rynne.
Follow-up: Child has stomach pain, is sleeping more than usual, has fever and is pale. 3 hours later
1. He has had no vomiting or diarrhea. He had a normal bowel movement yesterday.
2. The pain is right around his belly button, he said it feels like he was punched there (although he's not bent over in pain, he just holds it) and sometimes there's dull pains other places.
3. It is a sharp pain if he jumps.

He has not gotten better or worse since Monday morning - can appendicitis last that long without getting worse?

Thank you, Dr. Rynne.
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 53 minutes later
Hi again. Your answers are most helpful.

Appendicitis is a most unpredictable and sometimes a very difficult condition to diagnose. Every doctor, including this one, has missed this diagnosis at some time during their medical career.

Your son needs a blood test called a FBC and he needs a doctor to palpate his abdomen and, if only as a precaution, he needs both of those things right now.

Hope my answer will be of some help to you. Please accept it if you have no more questions.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery.

Best regards,