Child has stomach pain, become fatigued and fall asleep early. Underlying cause?

Feb 2013

I have a 4 year old that has said her stomach hurts for over a week now. For 3 days now she starts the day with energy and appetite and then around 3 or 4 in afternoon become fatigued and won't eat any longer. Falls asleep around 7 or 7:30 which is an hour or so before normal bed time. Taken to Dr. Twice over the last week, no answer. She has no fever as well.
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need more details about her complaint

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Before advising, I would like to know some details about her complaint.

Which part of stomach is hurting? Upper, middle, or lowe? Right or left? This information will help to locate the site of pain .

What is the severity on the scale of 1 to 1o?

Is the pain waking her up from sleep?

Is there any other associated symptoms like vomitings, loose stools, constipation, frequency or burning of urination?

Children around this age active and energetic in the day time with play and by the evening they will get exhausted and try to go sleep early. As there is no fever , energetic, with good appetite nothing to worry.

But if she complains of stomach pain continuously, it is better to do some basic investigations like ultrasound abdomen and pelvis, complete urine examination, stool examination with the advice of the Pediatrician.

Hope I have answered your query, and I request you to kindly send the details to advise you in a better way.

Follow-up: Child has stomach pain, become fatigued and fall asleep early. Underlying cause? 12 minutes later
She complains about her middle upper stomach. Pain has awaken her a couple nights. I would say pain is mid range as it keeps her in curled up or lying on her stomach. She has vomited today right when we began to eat dinner, this was early evening. Diaheera began today as well.
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Looks like stomach infection. Maintain hydration

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for getting back with the details.

Stomach pain, vomiting, and diarrhea at present are suggestive of infection of gut-gastroenteritis.

Give sips of oral rehydration solutions such as Pedialyte to prevent the dehydration from vomitings and loose stools.

Monitor her hydration by activity, urine output, skin turgor, and moisture of oral cavity and tongue.

Oral probiotics like lactobacillus or saccharomyces sachets can be given to her to restore gut homeostasis which will decrease diarrhea.

Her stool sample to be tested for stool routine examination and culture and sensitivity to look for the type of infection.

Consult her pediatrician for clinical examination to assess her hydration status, to investigate, and to prescribe medication.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.