Child has stomach bug, soft and pale stools, passing gas, stomach ache, stomach fullness. Is it possible she still has a bug?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my 3 year old had a case of a stomach bug just over a week ago. Since then her stool has been soft and pale in color. She is also passing alot of gas. Is it possible she still has a bug? she is eating ok but has complained about a tummy ache from time to time. Her tummy also feels tight or full
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The symptoms of your daughter are more likely to be due to mild indigestion and gas rather than an infection. Such symptoms are commonly seen after a gut infection.
Pale or white stool may result as an indicator that the child is not being supplied with all the proper vitamins and minerals. The common causes are malabsorption syndrome and post gastrointestinal viral infections.
You need to feed her a light and easy to digest food with probiotics and fruit juices to supply her with all essential nutrients. Her symptoms will gradually subside over a week or two.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.