Child has stomach ache, pale complexion, loose stools, occasional fever. Eating normally

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
my 3 year old toddler says he has a stomach ache, no evergy, but eating and drinking fine. Temperature is fine, sometime high but ok. Pale in complexion, stools looser than normal, pee fine.
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Your child's symptoms could be an early sign of a gastroenteritis or a possible food allergy( if there is any history of allergogenic food intake like nuts , fish , dairy, preservatives etc) .
Since he is at present not having any major symptoms like diarrhoea , dehydration , vomiting , blood in stools or temperature >100 F etc there is no need for any specific treatment.
In any case mild viral infection or allergy are self limiting conditions and resolve on their own within a week .
The pain if troublesome can be decreased by mild analgesics like acetaminophen ( Tylenol ) or antispasmodics like dicylomine but it's best to get him evaluated by his pediatrician before any self medication.
Meanwhile you should try to keep him well hydrated with plenty of fluids and a soft and easily digestible diet ( avoiding very spicy or oily food and canned foods).
A zinc supplement (usually 20 mg / day ) and a probiotic once daily ( like enterogermina ) might help in restoring his gut to normalcy if the symptoms do not resolve within a day or two.
If any of the major symptoms mentioned above develop in due course of time then please seek prompt medical consultation.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries .
Regards .