Child has sore throat, cough after being bitten by mosquitoes. Related?

just wondering about any possible relationship between mosiquito bites and a cough/sore throat. we have been in jamaica where my son received several bites and he now has these symptoms. any relation?
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 1 hour later

There is no direct relation between mosquito bite and respiratory symptoms.
Cough and sore throat could be due to infection viral or bacterial.

Mosquito bite are associated with other infections. Since there are several bites I suggest you to monitor him for any fever/fever with sweating/hives/swelling around bites.

In case you suspect any such symptoms get a peripheral blood smear done for malarial parasite.

For cough and sore throat give lukewarm water.
Saline gargles will be effective.
Steam inhalation for 5 to 10 minutes should be done.

In case symptoms persist get him evaluated by pediatrician.

Hope I have answered your query. In case you have any other question I would be glad to help.

Wishing your child good health.
God bless!!