Child has somach pain. Endoscopy showed sessile polyp or nodular duodenitis. Done biopsy. What exactly is this?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
My son is 14 yrs old he had been complaining of pain in the stomach for over two months. He underwent endoscopy . The endoscopy has shown sesile polyp/nodular duodenitis. The doctor in the diagnosis has suspected for nodular duodenitis. He has gone for biopsy . The report will come in 4 days . What exactly is this? Is it common in children ? Is this curable? Is it chronic? If it goes unattended what can it lead to? What prevention one has to take in future?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 6 hours later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query

Nodular duodenitis is a rare condition and in available medical literature it is found only in 4% of endoscopic medical population

In children it is relatively common in females and in school going age

Yes it is curable inmost cases

If untreated and left carelessly it can go chronic but all depends on the biopsy findings

Treatment comprises of H2 Receptor antagonist and if H Pylori is positive treatment changes accordingly

Care to be taken is same as that of gastritis and/or acid peptic disease

Avoid spicy, fermented and fried meals,
Avoid aerated drinks
Avoid smoking or tobacco in any form
Avoid alcohol
Take lot of fluids daily
Exercise atleast five days a week
Take small frequent meals
If obese reduce weight
Manage your stress levels

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Wishing your son a speedy recovery

Follow-up: Child has somach pain. Endoscopy showed sessile polyp or nodular duodenitis. Done biopsy. What exactly is this? 17 hours later
Thanks for the information . Do you suggest a colonoscopy or any test ? What and When should we get it done? Can I mail you the biopsy reports and endoscopy report?

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for your followup

Colonoscopy wont help in duodenitis.

Yes You should upload the biopsy and endoscopy reports, it will help me sortout your issues

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Wishing your son a speedy recovery

Follow-up: Child has somach pain. Endoscopy showed sessile polyp or nodular duodenitis. Done biopsy. What exactly is this? 1 minute later
Thanks. Will keep you posted.

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 45 minutes later
HI

Thanks, do keep posted

Hope this helps
Am available for any followup queries
If there are no further doubts, do accept my reply and rate it

Wishing Your Son A Speedy Recovery

Follow-up: Child has somach pain. Endoscopy showed sessile polyp or nodular duodenitis. Done biopsy. What exactly is this? 31 hours later
Hello ,
I received the Biopsy report. The diagnosis is:
Lymphoid Hyperplasia, Duodenum.
What is this? What is the treatment?
Whether any further examination / test are required
What precaution one has to take?
You have been extremely patient, but I am extremely anxious.
If you need any further information for the diagnosis please let me know.your advice is extremely critical and valuable. Thanks

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later
Hi

Thanks for posting the biopsy report

I can understand your anxiety, Lymphoid hyperplasia of Duodenum and that too nodular is a rare entity

It is in most cases associated with H Pylori infection, a urease test should help confirm the same and a two week treatment for H Pylori will help

The disease may be localized to a segment or may affect longer segments of bowel
to rule our involvement of ileum and/or colon a capsule endoscopy would be of great help

Occasionally it is associated with Giardiasis and or Immuno deficiency, this should be investigated

This is all about the disease but your gastroentrologist who has clinically examined him should be in a better position to guide you for further management

Hope have replied to your satisfaction
Do get back if you need any clarification or explanation about the treatment your son gets

Wishing your son a speedy recovery