Child has shortness of breath. Giving ventolin and cetrizine syrup. Suggest an emergency medcine

my 2.5 yrs had short breath and nebulized. he was given ventolin and cetrizine syrup. the medic said i need budercort inhaler for emergencies which i doubt. which inhaler is best for emergency cases because the mother has the same problem even though she takes celestamine tablets when need be.

Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Both ventorlin and budecort can be given in emergency but they need to be given seperately. Do not mix them.

2. 1st choice is ventorlin as its action starts immediately. Budecort can be given after ventorlin.

3. Ideally ventorlin is given in emergencies. Ventorlin can be given 4 to 5 times a day whereas budecort is given 3 times a day in cases of emergency.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Consultant Pulmonologist