Child has scar on forehead, swollen, hurts to touch. Mosquito bite?

My 7 year old son has a scar on the top of his forehead, close to his hair line. It occurred from an accident last year. He did not need stitches and the wound formed and scab and then fell off. Now, one year later, he has a scar. Recently, the scar has appeared swollen and hurts when you touch it. Could a mosquito have bitten him on his scar and could this be causing the swelling? It looks like a small bump on top of where the scar - a little like a blister. He's complaining that it hurts when you touch it. Applying ice hasn't helped much. Any idea?
Posted Mon, 1 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
From your description, the changes in the scar tissue that you have noticed are likely to be due to a keloid formation. A mosquito bite in the area seems unlikely and it is not usually so painful unless infected.
A keloid is a proliferation of connective tissue which can occur in response to local trauma or possibly from a local surgical procedure.
A direct examination by a dermatologist will help in exact diagnosis.
Treatment includes steroid injections that actually work extremely well. They are not very painful and are very easy procedures that physicians can perform in the comfort of their own office. Generally these injections will lead to a significant degree of symptomatic improvement within a few days. Sometimes the keloid will resolve completely.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.