Child has rust colored spot on palm. What is it?

my four year old grandson has a pea sized rust colored stain or spot on the palm of his hand. His farther has tried all kinds of soap even paint thinner to try to remove it but nothing seems to work. What do you think he has??
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 9 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.
From the information that you have provided and from the picture it appears to be haematoma, is a localized collection of blood outside the blood vessels. It is quite common following blunt trauma. Most of the children while playing they will have some minor trauma that they will be unaware off, i think it is one of those.
Hematomas of the skin and soft tissues are often treated with rest, ice, compression, elevation of the affected part. The pain of a hematoma is usually due to the inflammation surrounding the blood and may be treated with over the counter pain medications in case if he has pain, It is very minor one it will fade on its own.
I advice you to not to touch the affected part or to press it, it usually resolves within week. It will be better if you see GP if it persists even after 4 to 5 days.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.