Child has red eye with excessive mucus in it. What is the disease called?

My 1 year old son has excessive mucus in one of his eyes, the other is normal. The mucus is yellow and his eye is a little reddish, and a tad puffy
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
Your son may have caught an eye infection which is giving the yellowish discharge and redness.
Some times a loose eyelash/head hair may fall inside and get under the eyelid to cause such symptoms due to irritation.
It needs a close look, you can inspect the eyes when the child is asleep.
If a hair/other foreign body is found please pick it out and the problem would resolve.
otherwise take him to a local clinician, a flushing eye-drop and an antibiotic drops would be helpful so get them under prescription.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!