Child has red, dry patches. Applied hydrocortisone. Taking whole milk. Sensitive to milk?

Hello- my daughter just turned 1 a few weeks ago. On her birthday she developed a horrible rash on her whole body. I was told by her pediatrician that it was a virus & it will run it's course. About a week later the rash on her body did clear up but the rash on her cheeks got worse. It's very red, has dry patches, and bumpy. It looks like she has teenage acne. My pediatrician said to put hydrocortisone on it but it hasn't made much of a difference. We have an appointment with a dermatologist in 2 weeks but I'm worried & I don't want it to get any worse. My daughter has been on Enfamil Infant from day one & never had a problem. When she was about 11 months we started mixing her formula with distilled water & whole cow's milk to get her ready for the switch to whole milk. I would also give her a bottle of whole milk once a day. She was doing OK for about 3-4 weeks and then the rash appeared. I talked to my daycare provider & she noticed that the rash seems to get redder after she gives her breakfast that always contains a 1/2 cup of whole milk. So could it be the milk that she is sensitive to? What can I do to clear this rash up?
Posted Thu, 13 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 9 hours later
Thanks for writing in to Heathcare Magic!
It is highly likely that the child is having the rash as a part of viral syndrome, the way it started, evolved and cleared. Only erratic thing is worsening on the face while clearing from body.
I do not think you need to apply anything except the cream to keep the area moist, just to avoid dry scaling.
The milk hypersensivity is not a possibility and you should continue to feed the child as usual.
Such a rash is not a characteristic of milk allergy.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!