Child has red dots on upper lips and chest. Should I be concerned?

Jul 2012

My 4 year old has a red dot with a smaller white bump in it above her upper lip. the same bump was found mid chest. What is it? should I be concerned? what can I put on it? Do you think its allergy related?
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there.
It does appear that this red spot with a white dot can be one of many things.
How long has it been there? Is there an itch associated? Is there a fever preceding or concomittant? This is NOT measles or Mumps so dont worry about the MMR vaccine for this issue. To my mind, it appears like a skin reaction pattern to an insect bite. No need for concern but may resolve with a local ointment containing hydrocortisone & fusidic acid combination. Cheers & Relax. It should dissapear with this ointment in 24-48 hrs. If not, then you need to see a dermatologist to ascertain if it is a viral infection like molluscum contagiosum that may need his/her intervention. In either case, it is a small matter that is easily resolved.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD