Child has red bumps all over body. What cure should be done?

My child has random red bumps popping up in different areas of her body - they pop up in different locations over the last several hours.
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 18 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the questions,
The rapidity of these symptoms is indicative of an allergic reaction. This could be due to an insect bite, a drug or a particular exposure to something that needs to be evaluated.
Treatment in this case is based on mainly anti allergic and anti inflammatory drugs. Corticosteriods, anti histamines and antiseptics shall be the mainstay of treatment.
From the image, I suggest you take the child to the emergency room for an injection of a steroid. Its an allergic reaction.
Thanks and best regards
Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: Child has red bumps all over body. What cure should be done? 3 minutes later
What over the counter medicine would be good to used and evaluate if reaction gets better?
Would benadryl be good?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 29 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the question,
benadryl use is actually for people more than 6 years of age. When used in children aged 4 , it should be used with a lot of caution. I suggest you use it now with caution and XXXXXXX the prescribe another appropriate drug.
If you have the Benadryl 2% cream , you should apply it 3 to 4 times a day for 7 days. The tablets, if its the 12.5mg tablet, you give 4mg twice daily (split it into 6) and if its the 25mg tablets, you split it in into 6 (you dry diving as such for now).
Then later, you can continue with the cream, but other simple adapted oral anti allergic drugs like Aureus syrup could be given to the child, 10ml a day in the morning for seven days.
Thanks and hope this helps,
Luchuo, MD.