Child has reactive airway disease. High RR, HR and saturation. Taking heavy medication. What best can I do?

Hi, my 19 month old daughter is suffering from RAD and has been hospitalised for a couple of days. RR was above 70, HR 180, and saturation 60. she is on heavy medication. what is best I can do. some are suggesting to move out of bangalore ....please suggest
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 6 hours later
I infer that your daughter is suffering from reactive airway disease. This is a disease where some allergy causes airway narrowing and this condition usually responds to inhaled bronchodilator therapy.

As I believe that more information can help a doctor reach a more accurate diagnosis, I would request you to answer the following questions
1.     When did your daughter start developing any symptoms?
2.     What were the symptoms initially?
3.     When did the symptoms start worsening?
4.     What medication is she currently receiving?

Given your description, this does not seem to be a likely diagnosis in this case, unless the child or her family has a history of allergies or asthma. Such symptoms can also result from foreign body inhalation.

If your daughter has undergone a chest Xray, I request you to upload the report.
I would also suggest that a CT chest with virtual bronchoscopy be done for your doctor. However, you would need to XXXXXXX her treating paediatrician.

Regarding moving out of Bangalore, it may sound unpractical as the child is currently hospitalized and diagnosis is not yet certain. You may want to shift out of your current home (which could be a source of allergens for her) at a later date, but you need not leave the city.

I hope I have answered your query.