Child has rashes on bottom, no discomfort. History of yeast rashes. What is this rash and how do I get rid of it?

My 23 month old daughter has had numerous red pimple like rashes on her butt cheeks, and never on the genital/sensitive areas. They are bright red pimples with white centers. She also gets an occasional one under her navel, but most often they are just on her rump cheeks. They do not seem to bother her at all, but they look just terrible! We have treated it with diaper creams, antifungal creams and extra acidophilus in her diet, to no avail. Ongoing now for over 3 months with different home treatments. They seem to ease up a bit and then flair up, but never completely dissapear. She has had many yeast rashes in the past due to higher yeast in her system, so I know its not yeast. We havent changed wipes or diapers or detergents.... What is this rash and how do I get rid of it?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

These small pimples on the buttocks can be due to folliculitis which is caused by irritation and inflammation of the hair follicles. It is usually caused by irritation, infections like bacteria and yeasts and other non-infectious skin conditions. If these eruptions are painful, then they can be due to boils. Boils are caused by infection of the hair follicle by the bacterium Staphylococcus aureus and may occur due to hair follicles that have been blocked by greasy creams and petroleum jelly or by using shared cosmetics or washcloths.
I would suggest the following:
•     For folliculitis, keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics.
•     Also your daughter should wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap.
•     Avoid any kind of cosmetics especially greasy cosmetic creams and make sure her bottom is dried after you clean her up.
•     Exercise good hygiene.
•     Topical antibiotics like Clindamycin and Neosporin which are usually available under prescription are effective but should only be used under a pediatrician’s guidance.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries, then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.