Child has rashes all over body, swollen lymph node in armpit, groin and behind knees. Any thoughts?

I am trying to get info for a friend. Her son is 4--rash over legs and arms, streaky, red, painful swollen lymph nodes in armpits, groin and behind knees. Had pain in his hip at times and he will lean to side to reduce pain. This has been going on for over 4 months on and off. Fever in January but not since. Any thoughts? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

The symptoms you mentioned could be seen in viral infections. It is very rare for a viral infection to stay for such a long time.

I recommend him to be put on course of antibiotics. If the condition does not subside then FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) of a swollen lymph node has to be done. In this test a small amount of material is extracted from the lymph node using needle and examined under the microscope to identify the cause for the illness.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: Child has rashes all over body, swollen lymph node in armpit, groin and behind knees. Any thoughts? 43 minutes later
Thank you. He was on antibiotics recently and then a steroid too. Should they try antibiotics again?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 23 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

No, there is no need for another course of antibiotics now.

Let him take anti-inflammatory medication like Tab Motrin 400 mg twice after food daily for three days.