Child has rash on anus and buttocks, initially itchy, lesion has black center. What could it be?

My 11-yr-old son has recently developed a worrisome rash around his anus and buttocks. It started out as an itchy rash I thought was yeast as he is an athlete and sweats a lot. We treated it initially with diaper cream and then with an anti-fungal cream. However, it got worse and quite painful. Some of the lesions have developed black centers which almost look like big black heads. He's a bit of a clean freak, so cleanliness is not an issue. He does not have the rash on any other part of his body. I looked into shingles and scabies, but I have no idea. What could it be and how can I treat it?
Posted Thu, 27 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 41 minutes later
Hi Dear,

Thanks for writing in.

The rash you are describing can be scabies, tinea carporis,dermatitis herpetiformis, contact dermatitis, herpes zoster, folliculitis etc.

Also I would like to know-
Since when he has this problem?

are the lesions scaly?

is there fever or any other symptom?

does it discharge pus? Are the lesions fluid filled?

Itching is more in day or night?

Can Can you upload good quality photos of the affected hands.

Photos will help a lot in predicting the diagnosis and treatment.

You can upload them by using UPLOAD YOUR REPORTS section on right side of the box.

Till then you can give tab.zyrtac for the itching.

Apply soothing lotion like calamine lotion over the affected area.

Anticipating your reply.