Child has rash in armpits, neck, buttocks and vagina. Swollen eyes and lips. given Benadryl and prednisone.

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
My 7 year old daughter has a sunburn-like rash in her armpits, front and back of neck, behind ears, back, buttocks and vagina. Her eyes are swollen and discharge at night, her lips are dry and swollen, bottoms of feet sensitive. She also has thick yellow mucous from her nose throughout the day and complains that everything itches. She has a low grade fever (99) on and off but nothing high. Benedryl and Prednisolone have not worked. We just added Omnnicef but it doesn't seem to be working either. Any ideas what this could be?
Also, she is vaccinated up to date. Today is Saturday - first signs of symptoms were Tuesday afternoon starting with red armpits that we thought were her tank top rubbing. Wed afternoon lips and body rash showed up. Thursday morning started Benedryl. Friday morning Prednisolone. Friday afternoon Omnicef. Now its Saturday and no change.
Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

With the description of her symptoms, it is looking like a generalized allergic reaction.

Viral exanthematous fevers also present with the symptoms of rash, mucous discharge from nose, but fever will be high grade in the initial days.

For rash, you can apply a calamine containing lotion externally over rash for soothing effect and to decrease the itching sensation.

Give plenty of oral fluids to maintain her hydration.

Clean her eyes with cool and clean water if there is discharge from eyes or sticking of eyelids.

You can continue Benadryl in prescribed dose.

Has she been to the doctor for the present problem?

Are prednisolone and omnicef are prescribed by the doctor for this condition now?

If the temperature is more than 100 degree F, you can give Tylenol in prescribed dose.

And I advise you to consult the pediatrician for examination and specific treatment.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child has rash in armpits, neck, buttocks and vagina. Swollen eyes and lips. given Benadryl and prednisone. 10 minutes later
Yes - she has seen the doctor a handful of times and we are in constant contact but since nothing seems to be helping (benedryl / prednisone / onmicef) I am also doing my own research on the side. All prescriptions have been prescribed by her ped.

She does not have a high fever and has not had one yet. Her chest is also starting to peel.

Any other ideas?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 44 minutes later

Rash with peeling of skin is a feature of scarlet fever also. But here child will present with sore throat and significant fever. Throat swab culture will detect the causative organism.

Continue the medication as advised by her pediatrician for the present problem.

Even viral fevers with rash also present with a similar fashion followed by peeling of skin where the rash occurred.

What I advise is to consult the pediatrician again for follow up visit for reassessment of the child and investigations if required.

Regards.