Child has purple rash, not raised, appears only on buttocks. What could this be?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My almost 2 year old son has like a purple i will say rash but it isnt raised on his bottom it is like purplish lines ...why could this be? It is only on his bottom and comes and goes
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Hello ,
There are various possibilities for purple streaks on skin.
Some of them are,
Cushing's syndrome
Rapid weight gain or loss
Systemic steroid use
Topical steroids.
I won't consider it a rash due to infection as your history doesn't suggest an abrupt onset or worsening or any associated symptoms like diarrhoea, cold cough fever etc.
Now considering your childs age and assuming he has no associated symptoms, its likely that these are due to stretching of skin caused by rapid changes in weight of active toddlers.
If they are not causing any itching, pain, irritation or oozing then you need not worry.
If you are applying any particular cream or lotion or talc or suspect any allergy to diaper etc then you should withdraw them & watch for resolution.
However it is less likely to be allergy if there is no itching associated.

But if he has any such symptoms or is on any medication or has any problem in growth development like delayed milestones, obesity, recurrent infections etc then please consult his
pediatrician for further evaluation.The doctor may find some clues on physical examination and confirm the diagnosis with blood tests if needed.
As of now you should keep the area clean, dry and avoid any chemical products on the skin.
You may use mild moisturiser like glycerine or calamine for preventing dryness of skin and stretch marks.
Hope I have answered your query.